5/23/2011

Made It Myself Mondays!



Happy Monday everyone! Did you all have fun last week checking out all of the awesome projects last week from Alex's "Made It Myself Mondays"? I know I did! Everyone's projects were so inspiring, so I decided to try it again this week! :-)

For today's project, I wanted to dig up another one of my "green" projects that I made. I know a lot of you save things to alter, so I'm always getting new ideas on things to alter!

For this project, I decided to make "Soup Can Flower Pots." A good way to go green, right?

First, I picked out some pretty acrylic paints that I wanted to use for the cans. After I painted them and let them dry, I sprayed them with some glitter.

Second, I chose my pretty papers and cut some flowers and flourishes with my cricut. Then I took my hot glue gun and glued the pieces to bamboo skewers.

Next, I took styrofoam squares and glued them into the bottom of the cans with hot glue. Take your flowers/skewers and stick them down into the styrofoam. I usually poke a hole then pull the skewer back out and put a little hot glue on it and stick it back in so it will stay.

Last, I stuffed the cans with paper shreds to fill the empty spots. you can also spray these with a little glitter to give them that extra sparkle. I also tied some ribbon around the cans for a finishing touch.

And here is my finished project:

These make great gifts too! Real flowers wilt and die, but paper flowers last forever! :-)

I hope you enjoyed this project! Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, i love them!!!!!!!!!!

www.memorieswithjen.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

Nice Go Green Project...reduce reuse recycle:)
pretty!

My 3 E Scrapbooking said...

These are beautiful! I'm sure anyone would love to recieve these! I love recycle projects! It makes me feel better when I can go to my Yard Sale junk box and find a use for something! TFS!
Amber
my3escrapbooking.blogspot.com

mamawcindy said...

Love this!!! This would probably be a good project to do this Summer with the Grandkids.:0)

briana said...

Stopping by from You Had Me at Craft's link up party! Oh my gosh, those flowers are SO cute!! Thank you for sharing! :D

I'd love it if you would stop by my blog as well, http://vintage53.blogspot.com/

Have an amazing day!

Rachel said...

Adorable project! It's nice to enjoy flowers for longer than one week :)

-rwk
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Karen said...

These are gorgeous! So cheerful, happy, and efficient! :o) They brightened my day just by their picture. :o) So happy you linked to Alex's party!

Hugs and blessings! :o)

Sabrina said...

Hi Emily! I am stopping by from the You Had me at Craft's Made it Myself Mondays. Your project really caught me eye. I love anything with flowers and this is a great way to have flowers last for a long time. Great project, thank you!
Sabrina
scrappinwithsabrina.blogspot.com

Lori Comeau said...

What a cute project, so fun.
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Krista's Paper Cafe said...

Emily--these flowers are beautiful. I like the idea of using a flourish as the "stem."

Post a Comment