12/07/2012

O Christmas Tree!

I decided that I wanted to do a beach/coastal type of tree this year. Even though I live in Ohio nowhere near a beach, the thought of being at the beach or anything beachy makes me happy.

 I went with burlap and pretty teal/blue colors for the overall look of my tree this year.

I found these pretty ornaments at Wal-Mart and they were the PERFECT color! The best thing... they are plastic and kitty proof! We have a kitty this year so I had to remember to not put anything glass on the tree. 

She's already been a naughty kitty this year. Can you spot her? I caught her yesterday on the stairs trying to knock the ornaments off the tree. 

To match the beautiful ornaments, I decided that I needed some bows. Of coarse, they are really hard to find in the colors that I chose this year, so I decided to make my own! 

I chose one of my favorite ribbons from May Arts. It's the Natural Burlap/Stripe Edge ribbon in Teal(406-15-04).

Making your own bows for the tree is so simple! All you need is ribbon (wired is the best so you can shape the bows), jewelry wire, and scissors.

First, tie a bow and cut the ends (you might want to heat set with a lighter or fray check). Then thread the jewelry wire through the back and tie it off. 

Now you have a perfect bow ready to go on your tree!

I also needed a tree skirt to match. Of coarse, this was impossible to find in the colors that I wanted. So I took to Pinterest... 

This tree skirt was too beautiful NOT to try! I love how it turned out! I will note, this is a project and a half! Not one to do in just a few days! 

To make your own tree skirt you will need 2-3 yards of each fabric (I chose a pretty teal fabric and some ivory colored burlap), Christmas tree skirt (cotton skirts are $3 at Wal-mart), Ribbon. 

Start by hot gluing fabric to the bottom of the tree skirt. You will need to fold the fabric over each time to give a ruffled look. 

Add a layer of burlap after the fabric.

Keep going by alternating fabric/burlap with each row. 

Instead of adding a tie, I added some bows from the burlap/stripe ribbon to match my tree bows. I don't like typing a skirt around the tree so I did it this way and just laid the ends of the tree skirt overlapping so the bows would show. 

Last, but not least... do you remember the little clothespin flowers that I posted a few weeks ago?

Here they are! PERFECT addition to my beachy tree! CLICK HERE for a full tutorial to make your own! 

Stop by the May Arts blog today to see Christmas Trees from all of the Ribbonistas! Also, they are offering a giveaway, so you don't want to miss out on that!

Thanks for stopping by! 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful my cat is three and he still plays with the tree, baubles everywhere.
Chris x

Josie0602 said...

Wow! What a gorgeous tree!! That skirt is just beautiful!

Lisa said...

your tree is beautiful!!! absolutely love the tree skirt too!

Pam said...

Gorgeous tree ! Love that tree skirt. Is your cat a Russian BLue by any chance? She looks kind of like our Midnight kitty.

Chris said...

Beautiful!!Love the tree skirt!!

Ashley H said...

so pretty! I love all the handmade touches :)

D's Paper Studio said...

I love your tree and bows, but that tree skirt is incredible.

Sue D said...

How beautiful--you achieved the beach theme look. Love the tree skirt.

Barbara H said...

Pretty tree and really liked the tree skirt you made to match the tree. Thanks for sharing your talent.

sharon g said...

That canvassy ribbon is some of my favorite. I'd love to buy some.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Wow, love the non-traditional colors of your tree.

Sassy said...

Stunning! That is one of my fav MA ribbon, too. Beautiful colors and your tree skirt is fantastic!

Angie Blom said...

Stunning Emily!! Loving your theme!!

Dawn said...

Love the teal color! The kitty should be on the Christmas cards I bought for my pet sitting clients. The sentiment is, "Oh,Christmas tree,Oh, Christmas tree, your ornaments are history!"

Post a Comment